Re: program sharing ?

Wow! A question I can maybe answer. As a software
consultant I would say, "Yes. It's called software piracy."
Even if he does not charge for the software usage. But when
you say, "His Traders..." it would imply that he is gaining
some marginal utility, provable business gain. Unless of
course he purchased a site liscense which typically will
have a connecting or client user limit and language
specifying how the software is shared or distributed.
Otherwise, all software agreements are considered, "single
use only." There have been some interesting cases but no
real definitive rulings on the single use on a single
machine vs. single use on multiple machines though the
courts are leaning toward the single use/single machine
limits.

The courts have looked at it this way: Assume you bought a
copy of the latest Harry Potter book shortly after its long
anticipated release. If you give the book to a thousand
friends sequentially, the publisher won't be happy about it
but they won't have a legal case. If you make a thousand
copies of your book and give them away, the courts will
stick you with loss of profit, legal costs, violation of
copyright laws, etc.. The same thing applies if you post it
on the internet on a free website and anyone can access it.
Just ask Harlin Ellison...

wilson deng  wrote:

my friend is using a expensive program in an interesting
way, he installed the program in a win2k server with
terminal server service started, then his traders access
the program from different PC via win2k pro terminal
service. Looks like he own muliple programs.I wonder is
there a legal problem to do this?