Re: How To Recover From A Non-Booting Win 2000

Another possible solution would be to invest in NTFSDOS Pro.  It's a
program on a floppy that allows one to boot from and you have
read/write access to all NTFS partitions.

The problem Wayne described is due to a corrupt file in that directory
that needs to be renamed (usually the software.sav file).

I have no affiliation with the company that produces NTFSDOS Pro but I
act as a systems administrator during the day and this program has
saved me many hours of work.

I'm rather surprised MS support could not get him booted since the
problem is described right in their Knowledge Base!  No, on second
thought, I'm not surprised!

Brian Elkins

> Recently my dual booting  W2K would not boot to the main OS holding
TS2K
> due to a corruption in C:\windows\system32\config\software. I used
the
> Recovery Console (RC) to try to replace this file, which I
eventually
> did. The RC can be loaded from the CD or 4 floppies. The password
for
> the computer is needed to start the RC.
>
> At first I struggling with the RC off and on for a week, then I
called
> MS support. The cost of one incident on W2K by phone is $245. So I
> bought  a second upgrade CD for W2K for $189 which gives 2
incidents.
> MS support could not get me booted so I wanted to move my crucial TS
> files (MyWorks, etc.) out of volume C: onto volume D: where the
working,
> second OS can see them. This can be done with the RC even on a
> non-booting system. But I found that I did not have the option
enabled
> that allowed this. By default setup does not enable this option. I
> SUGGEST THAT ANYONE RUNNING W2K ENABLE THIS OPTION UNLESS YOU NEED
THE