Re: Optionetics

Many of the current options "strategies" taught by various options gurus are based on Black-Scholes notions of "volatility".  I suggest caution in applying such option price "models".  Stated simply, the assumption of Gaussian distribution of price changes is incorrect.  Thus, the Black-Scholes model is simply bogus.  (The more accurate price change distribution, with its infinite "fat tails", negates Black-Scholes as a valid model.)

For a more complete discussion of this, see "Nonlinear Pricing", by Christopher May.

The effect of applying the Black-Scholes assumption in practice is illustrated by the Long-Term Capital Management fiasco.  Scholes and Merton (Black is deceased) used the Black-Scholes assumptions at LTCM.  The models "worked" until a series of "fat tail" events occurred.  Read "When Genius Failed", a book recently mentioned on this list, for more on this.

Be careful out there...

Good trading,

OM