Re: W95 Shortcut to BMI Offline?

Gary Fritz <fritz@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>> I recently switched from W3.1 to W95.
>
>Geeze Jim, you're really surfing on the leading edge aintcha.  :-)

That's me :) I'd go back to W3.1 in a heartbeat if I could, but I'm
experimenting with various software that is Win32, so that choice is
not available.  Since Wxxx for me is simply a wrapper around a single
application (until recently TS4) W3.1 made a lot of sense.  I bet
even if our friends at Dynastore get me back to using TS4 real-time
with DTN data, it'll be a Win32 converter, so I'm probably stuck in
this "upgrade."  So far, I can't see any improvements for my
purposes, although I might be able to put the networking to some
advantage. Still, I could have added a TCP/IP stack to Win3.1.

>I wouldn't have recommended going to W95.  It has lots of stability
>problems.  You'd be a lot better off to just make the leap to W2k.
>Or if that's too recent for you :-) you could at least move to NT --
>it's light-years more solid than W9x.

Anything above Win95 will require a new computer.  This clunky old
486-66 did just fine sifting the BMI sat feed into TS4/Win3.1.
It seems to handle Win95 and Ensign/DTN, which throws the entire
set of futures exchanges, real-time or delayed, at the computer,
and it runs DTN's own little Chameleon program, which is clever
enough to use DTN's watch-list technology to sift the data in
the sat receiver, just beautifully.  All this with TS4 offline
in the background with yesterday's charts up.

I'll probably break down and get a new computer, and perhaps
get W2k---certainly not W98.  It's just that I'm used to OS
upgrades making things run faster and more efficiently, and
I hate paying good money to companies that do the opposite.

And thanks to everyone for helping me decipher those shortcuts!

Jim