From: Gary Fritz [mailto:fritz@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 12:56 AM
To: Omegalist
Subject: Re: trendiness measures

> Could someone please briefly explain some measures of trendiness
> that I could use to decide which markets tend to trend more than
> others?   ... Yes, I'm familiar with the ADX, the CMO, etc., but
> how are indicators like these used to give a summary of a market's
> trendiness over, say, a year?

Here's an indicator you can apply to a market to get a statistical
measure for  its trendiness.  It measures the movement of the market
over several sample lengths, and compares the result to what would be
expected of a "random walk."  If the market has moved more than a
random walk, that indicates it tends to trend in that timeframe.  If
it moves less, it's *anti*-trending -- that is, it reverses more than
would be expected of even a random walk.

Also note that you must apply it to a chart with AT LEAST 100 bars.
Longer charts will give you a more accurate result.

Here's an example of the indicator's output:

 Trend data for SP M1:
   10-minute bars
  1926 samples
 Bars     StdDev  Expected  Actual
    1     0.00260     1     1.00000
    4     0.00492     2     1.89514
    9     0.00761     3     2.93162
   16     0.01032     4     3.97341
   25     0.01313     5     5.05649
   36     0.01590     6     6.12256
   49     0.01835     7     7.06543
   64     0.02091     8     8.05145
   81     0.02333     9     8.98652
  100     0.02536    10     9.76810

Since the "Actual" value for the sample lengths 25, 36, 49, and 64 is
slightly longer than the "Expected," that indicates the 10min SP
tends to trend (slightly) in this period when you look at 25-64 bar
moves.  Longer and shorter moves tend NOT to trend, since their
"Actual" value is slightly LESS than the "Expected."

Here's an interesting result:  this is a year of DAILY S&P:

 Bars     StdDev  Expected  Actual
    1     0.01399     1     1.00000
    4     0.02595     2     1.85540
    9     0.03649     3     2.60854
   16     0.04641     4     3.31798
   25     0.05049     5     3.60985
   36     0.05489     6     3.92427
   49     0.05456     7     3.90075
   64     0.05884     8     4.20646
   81     0.06229     9     4.45316
  100     0.06400    10     4.57589

Note that the S&P shows anti-trending (reversing) behavior at ALL
sample lengths, especially at longer lengths.  This should come as no
surprise.  The S&P is known as a reversing market -- that's why "buy
the dips" works.  "Trending" means "if it's going up, it will tend to
keep going up, and vice versa."  But in the S&P it usually works to
say "if it's going down, buy, because soon it will go back up."
That's ANTI-trending behavior.

By default the indicator DOES NOT PLOT ANYTHING.  It prints its
results in the Print Log.  Several people had trouble with that the
last time I posted an indicator like this.  Remember to scroll down
to the bottom of the Print Log.  :-)  If you set the PlotSD input to
True, it will plot the SD's of several sample lengths, but I don't
think this is very useful.

Gary

{***************************************************************************
 *
 *  Indicator:  Trend StdDev
 *  Gary Fritz  1/7/99
 *    7/20/99:  Minor fixes and improvements
 *
 *  Computes the standard deviation of Nlengs different lengths of
 *  price action:  C-C[1], C-C[4], C-C[9], C-C[16], etc.
 *  In a pure Random Walk, the N^2-length sample will have a StdDev
 *  of N times the StdDev of the 1-length sample.  If a particular
 *  price example shows larger-than-expected StdDevs it indicates
 *  a trending market; if the StdDevs are smaller than the expected
 *  values it indicates an anti-trending (reversing) market.
 *
 *  Doesn't start recording data until 100 bars are available.
 *  Needs a lot of bars to compute valid data anyway, so just apply it
 *  to a long chart.
 *
 *  StdDev values are printed to the Print Log.
 *