trendiness measures

Could someone please briefly explain some measures of trendiness that I
could use to decide which markets tend to trend more than others?   Is this
usually done by devising simple trend-following systems and ranking markets
according to performance?   Or are there more specific measures?  Yes, I'm
familiar with the ADX, the CMO, etc., but how are indicators like these
used to give a summary of a market's trendiness over, say, a year?

Thanks for any help.