From: dvd@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:dvd@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 8:21 AM
To: John Hoefer; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Radar Screen Performance

John,

I had this general problem, though of shorter duration, even with Win2k.
Bid and Ask, in particular, lagged for long periods. TS tech told me the
problem was due to the fact that these fields were the last fetched
during a cycle, and that since the data was coming in so fast, the cycle
had to restart without completely fetching all the data. Or something to
that effect. (It was difficult to get a straight statement from the
person I spoke with.)

I also had a long session with DTN tech support about this. He was kind
enough to duplicate the problem on his TS2k machine using their Bridge
feed, and then test it with a different feed and with Chameleon. He had
the same problem on both feeds using TS2k but not with Chameleon on
either feed. He then showed me how to use Win2k to monitor the RAM usage
(not through the Task Manager, but some more direct way that I don't
recall right now). He said that when the RAM usage spiked to the 80% to
100% range that I might be losing some of the data in RAM. He suggested
buying more RAM.

I increased the RAM from 256mb to 768 mb, (on a PIII, 600) the maximum
my motherboard can hold. This has helped to greatly lessen the problem
but not eliminate it completely, though its hard to tell by exactly how
much without a direct comparison to someone else's machine.

My own experience agrees with the advice in a previous post: I believe
it helps to throw as much hardware as possible at TS2k (though this
probably also depends on the number of workspaces you have open, whether
you work with high volume stocks, and the number and complexity of the
indicators you run. I have reduced the number of open workspaces, which
may have also helped to reduce the problem.). By hardware, I also mean
the speed and optimization of the harddrive(s), as well as the CPU and
RAM. I have heard that a RAID setup is much faster and I would be
interested in hearing the experiences of anyone who has tried it.

(I am also assuming that by now others have mentioned that upgrading to
Win2k will probably also help with this problem.)

Good luck,

David