Re: Trading Systems

Right on track and I understand searching for a different strategy when one
stops working. A few years ago while in the development stages I found that
I had hundreds of systems that did well during various time frames. So I
built a spreadsheet to compare them on a daily basis for 28 years of history
but could only do 9 at a time. It took about 3 months to make it do what I
wanted it to do to allow me to pick the 9 "best" systems out of what really
turned out to 65 acceptable systems none of which were good all the time but
all had their moments where they were very good. The spreadsheet logic was
based on the equity curve of each system and the idea was to switch to the
best system when the current one was failing. I was surprised to find that
that method did not work and in fact when it looked like the current system
had been doing well and had just about peaked out on a relative equity
curve, select the system with the worst recent performance produced better
overall results. I abandoned that spreadsheet and ended up modifying it to
take 9 system results day by day from tradestation and go thru time giving
each of the system results a different weight and build a composite buy/sell
signal.
That work fine but again it was just another gigantic curve fitting process
as it did not work well on future data. I was about to turn it into a
walkforward system but TS2000i came out so I start working on putting all of
my spreadsheet logic into TS2000i since the memory constraints were gone.
But I ran into trouble moving forward and backward in time with easylanguage
because I use xaverage and it relies on an accumulation of prior bars.
That's why I now use Winbatch.
This thread has been very informative about what seems to be some kind of
"footprint" which can be used to describe what could be called the current
environment. And the concept and being able to identify a changing footprint
is also very good. But I don't know how to do it. Hearing other people talk
about implying that it works and is possible helps me to keep on searching.
Sometimes I think that this mechanical trading stuff is impossible but I
continue to try because I am lazy and somehow I think that I can create a
system that will work now and in the future so that I can stop this search
and let the computer tell me when to buy and sell so that I can have a life
or something.