Re: PC Freezing up

On Fri, 4 May 2001 20:07:11 +0100, Colin Henry wrote:

>Dear Members:
>
>I wonder if anyone can suggest what might be causing me PC to "freeze up".
>It seems to happen once the computer has been on for a while. The screen
>simply "freezes" and won't respond to the mouse. Each time I have to reboot
>using the reboot button on the minitower. This in turn runs Microsoft
>Scandisk and each time the cause seems to be and I quote:
>
>"Scandisk is checking the following areas on drive C:
>
>  * File system
>
>Scandisk found 4,096 bytes of data on drive C that might be a lost file, but
>is probably just taking up space"
>
>I have just had the computer checked by a technician who tells me it is OK!
>
>I run Windows95.
>
>Your help would be much appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation.
>

>Colin Henry

If "a while" is about 1/2 day, and Win 95 indicates that it is an
older machine,  and the technician did not open the box and clean out
the dust around the air passages, the CPU fins, the CPU cooling fan,
and re-seat (as in remove and put back in) the memory, and at least
your video board.  Then do this and report back to us here.

Fred

"Success is the only test of genius" -R.Adm Daniel Gallery 1901-1977