RE: Questions about trading systems.

Daniel,

You can restate that question by asking, "How confident do I want to be that
my system is broken?"

Take for example a system with a 60% win rate.  (I'm assuming that statistic
was developed from a long trading history with a large number of independent
trades for validity).

For each trade, the probability of losing is 40% or 0.4.  The probability of
losing two trades in a row is 0.4*0.4 or 0.4^2.  The probability of losing x
trades in a row is 0.4^x for this system.

If you want to be really, really sure that your system is broken before you
abandon it, you'd be looking for something like a 99.9% confidence interval.
So you want that 1/10 of 1% event.

For the system above, that means   0.001=0.04^X  or X=Ln(.001)/Ln(.4)  or
7.5 losers in a row.

Dave Nadeau
Fort Collins, CO