RE: Trading Systems

"here is an easy rule on how to
> id a good system. if you can load your system
> in the chart and follow ten signals in a row without
> any hesitation, regret, worry  or low confidence than
> you system is great. if however you question the
> signals, you double guess, you hesitate and you think
> twice that means your system is no good...

Some good points made here.  But what gets you to this point isn’t just how
much money your systems makes but also the depth of your historical testing.
You need a good system to trade confidently and a good system is defined not
just how much it makes but also by how it performs over different market
modes (up, sideways, down).  How many systems have had great runs just to
give it all back and then some?  I usually need no less than a year of real
time data (or at least a market with 2 obvious modes but I strive for 3) to
get confidence to do what bilo suggests defines a good system (on 60 min
bars).  The shorter the time frame your system is, the smaller amount of
time you will probably need because you will get all 3 market modes in a
shorter period of time.  This is one limitation of TS Pro.  The 6 months of
real time data doesn’t offer enough backtesting for me to trade confidently.
For me, the amount of money the system makes isn’t the only factor, also
important is how many trades over what period of time and markets I’ve
tested against.  When my system performs steadily in what I think are
different market modes then I can trade it without question because I know
that the odds are good, whatever the system loses it will most likely at
some point get it back.  It’s just a matter of reliably placing the trades.
But I need sufficient and good data to get to this point.

Brian