RE: EL Rate Cut System - Why ?

Anyone care to venture WHY the Fed cut rates in a naturally rising market ?
Here are the options:

1) they're stupid / they don't understand markets
2) "head-in-the-sand" mentality
3) it was a political move to bolster Bush's flagging popularity and to
offset his weak tax reduction plan
4) Greenspan was taking a vacation to the Bahamas and wanted to "get it out
of the way" before he left
5) crush the shorts/bears and "Teach em a lesson"
6) demonstrate their "committment" to the new economy
7) set-up the market for yet another big crater in the 3rd quarter