Re: EL help for counter

At 1:00 AM +0000 4/14/01, kjh129@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Here asking for help. Would like to create a indicator that has two
>plots. I would like to count the number of new highs in the last "N"
>number of bars, which would be plot 1, and plot 2 would be the number
>of new lows for last "N" number of bars.  Would anyone know how to do
>this? Not sure how to code a "counter" in EL. I would really
>appreciate anyone's help trying to code this.

I can think of a couple of methods off hand. You do not say how you
ever reset the new-high level. You probably do not want it to just
keep getting higher forever...

The following illustrates a couple of ideas. (These are not tested.)
See the comments for a description. These do not ever reset the new
high level so you will need to decide when you would like to do that.

Bob Fulks

----

{Method 1}

Input: N(14);

Vars: HHigh(-99999), NHigh(0), HCount(0)

if High > HHigh then begin
   HHigh = High;              {Save new high level}
   NHigh = 1;                 {Save location of new high}
end else NHigh = 0;

HCount = Summation(NHigh, N); {Count number over past N bars}
if ??? then HHigh = ???;

-------

{Method 2}

if High > HHigh then begin
   HHigh = High;              {Save new high level}
   HCount = HCount + 1 - HCount[N];  {Calculate number over past N bars}
end;
if ??? then HHigh = ???;