Re: AW: AW: PORTING TRADESTATION TO MATLAB

--- MikeSuesserott <MikeSuesserott@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Lawrence,
>
> how nice for me to be able to almost agree with you.
> I never thought I would
> see the day. :-) No, just kidding. I like your
> posts, except when it comes
> to Java!

Now I remember :)
Note that NeoTicker supports Java scripting too ...
see I am not "that" bias against the language afterall
:)

> <snip>

> It always surprises me when I see people use
> Metastock or Tradestation for
> calculation-intensive number crunching while being
> entirely at the mercy of
> the built-in accuracy, or lack of it, of these
> packages.

actually, before I switched from TS, some pretty
simple calculations are way off (like a long
exponential moving average) and usually a bypass
to calculate the result directly was needed.

<snip>
> So this issue of accuracy is not to be taken
> lightly, IMHO.

not that many people understand, and I know I cannot
convince them all to verify the TS results first :)

There are ways to reduce the errors by a huge order
if someone has to use easy lang. I highly recommend
those who is into using "deep" exponential moving
averages and cumulative "percentage" multiplication
in TS to read some introductory text on computational
numerical analysis. Most of these text cover some
basic techniques in error reduction that can be
copied into actual work easily.

=====
Lawrence Chan                http://www.tickquest.com
Home of trading tools NeoBreadth and NeoTicker series