Re: Bulletin 44 Switch Time Frames For Better Exits

Just a few comments on the submission below:

1.  When someone suggests "switch time frames for better
exits," rather than merely explain how to do it, why not
take a few minutes and use one of the platforms available,
and show how the profit/loss, drawdown, etc., would differ?

    I have found that once you have a profitable system, any
minor changes to one of the strategic parts rarely does
anything more than switch profitable periods & drawdowns,
but does not improve overall results.  Rather than tweaking
a system,  time is better spent on new systems that capture
different concepts.

    On this same theme, I have found that many plausible
trading concepts, just do not pan out when testing.
Reasoned explanations are useful, but it may take rigorous
systematic testing to flush out the fallacies in the
"plausible" concepts.

2.  I don't know what Dr. Elder does now, nor if he has ever
made a living trading, rather than offering courses on such.
Years ago I took a 1-day (possibly 2-day) course Elder gave,
during the week so we could watch him use his systems to
trade. (At the time I had started trading my own systems in
futures & was eager to learn more.)

    After spending hours explaining his systems, and the
importance of sticking to your system,  we were ready to
watch him in action.  His very first trade in the S&P turned
out profitable.  HOWEVER, it was exactly opposite his
system. And he admitted, somewhat proudly, that he thought
this time it was not appropriate to follow his system.  His
background, as I recall, is in psychology, and may assist
him as a discretionary trader.  (One of the best floor
traders I ever knew had taught abnormal psychology at the
college level.)  But Elder's  methodological hypocrisy
convinced me he had little to proffer regarding system
development.   Again, he may have changed after a number of
years.

3. Price objectives.
I have been trading futures for 30 years, although the first
10 were not profitable, including time as a member of one of
the commodity exchanges.  The next 15 years I made money as
a full-time discretionary futures' trader, trading only my
account.  After translating some of my methods to systems,
the next several years I managed money in futures, also
quite profitably.

    Not once in 20 + profitable years of trading have I
used a profit objective.  Nor have I ever met, or heard of a
successful trader who has.  On the other hand I have know
many traders
who never made much money because their profit objective was
reached, and they missed the big move.  And these same
traders are often the type constantly picking  a top or
bottom.  The only bottom this seems to pick is the equity in
their account.

    The market cares little about your position, where you
established it, what you think is an appropriate profit, or
loss.  There are countless strategies one could employ as to
how to determine which way the market wants to move.
Setting a profit objective has never been one of them.

    As a footnote, I see at the bottom of this posting
is a system for sale that "contains sound logic that should
work very well for picking bottoms in stocks."  SHOULD
work?  Picking bottoms?  I think I've said enough on this
topic.

Regards,