Re[4]: Why futures truth doesn't care about stealing your system

On Sunday, April 01, 2001, 9:52:18 AM, Brian wrote:

B> Reading back a little further in this chain, you’ll see that we all
B> agreed that TS was not Matlab charting.

True. :-)

B> We aren’t really talking
B> about charting because if you’ve systematized your trading then
B> charts aren’t really that nec.

I, and others, find it extremely useful to SEE some of these 'strange'
relationships that will be used as a basis for systems. If you never
get to see it, it is less likely you will even have a system.

B> Obviously, TS was not meant to be a mathlab charting package and if
B> you needed that you shouln’t have even considered.  Bad investment
B> on your part.  If you need 3-D charting for your trading, TS is not
B> the platform for you.

Even some simple ideas, such as volume-weighted graphs where the bar
widths are varied from bar to bar, are not possible in TS. I suspect
there are more people interested in this than in 3-D charts - it does
not take very much to hit the analysis limits of TS. :-) The time-only
charting of TS is a real pain.

B> Also, could you explain how you’d get server data into Mathlab.

Once you have the system in Matlab, you can use it to produce C code,
so you don't have to interface data to Matlab.

But, at that point, you say you don't need charting or EL, so why use
TS? There might be other options.

Most traders use simple techniques, and TS is OK for these. It is NOT
good for sophisticated traders who might want to use 'exotic'
techniques. Omega does not pay much attention to the needs of
technically-advanced traders.

New traders, especially, are not likely to want sophisticated stuff.
Omega has made a good business of appealing to new traders, and
getting a continuous stream of them after the 90% blow up ("95% of
traders", as you say). I would agree that TS is fine for "most
traders".

The real dividing line is for traders who want to use
technically-advanced techniques. Not gonna happen in TS. They can't
even do double precision. :-)

ztrader