Re: Portfolio testing

> From: fritz@xxxxxxxx
>
> * PowerST.  This sounds like an awesome package for portfolio
>  testing.  But it's quite pricey ($5k or so) for ONLY that function,
>  and it is *purely* a backtesting tool.  As I understand it, it has no
>  graphic/charting capabilities at all.  That won't work for me.  I
>  *need* to SEE the system on a chart, so I can see what it's doing,
>  where it's reacting, etc.

PowerST is still prerelease. Some of these items are dynamically changing.

It is correct that there is currently no charting. This is one of the reasons
why PowerST is still prerelease. Charting is 90% working, and will be
completed before the product is fully released.

Pricing: This isn't the first complaint about the $5K price. This is why it
is helpful to start getting input from potential customers through the Omega
list as early as possible. I'm listening, and in response it has pretty much
been decided to break pricing into tiers with different feature sets at
different prices. It has pretty much been decided that the first tier will
now be $2400 and that will include the integrated portfolio level testing.
Final pricing decisions will be made before the new web site is publicly
posted.

It is correct that PowerST is currently EOD only (brought up in a different
post). This will remain the situation through the first release. This is an
intentional controlled growth strategy decision. Starting EOD only will limit
the initial marketplace to the subset of the market satisfied with EOD, but
then controlled growth dictates the need to add new users slowly anyway.

The upcoming new web site will discuss product features as well as product
limitations in detail. The goal of the new web site is only to find 2 to 3
new "controlled introduction" customers who are willing to start with the
current features.

====

> From: cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx

PowerST does have many of the capabilities requested in the initial post that
started this thread.

>  I've look for a portfolio manager that has features similar to the
>  following, but to no avail. Before initiating a cooperative project to
>  envelope several tools and apps to do the job, I'm interested in hearing
>  experiences of others, and receiving suggestions for additional features.
>
>  Initial Features:
>
> Multiple client accounts

Yes.

>  1000's of transactions (trades) per account

No problem.

>  Include stocks, options, futures, (and anything else)

Stocks and futures, yes. I'm not sure what special requirements options would
have (never had an options trader as a customer).

>  TCP connection to realtime data, or EOD at least

EOD for now.

>  Allow user-written complex analysis (risk adjusted basis and it's inverse
>  for example)

Yes. To my knowledge this is unique to PowerST. It provides a programming
environment for end users to construct their own performance analysis, for
either individual markets or combined portfolios.

>  SQL or Access datastore

Not a native feature, but the ability for an end user to add this themselves
could be provided.

>  asp pages for clients to view and/or generate knowledge, and upload
>  transactions

Not a native feature. Strikes me as something more appropriate for being
handled by a separate application. I would have to know more about exact
requirements to say more.

>  performance analysis within TS or TradeLab (have heard too much about the
>  latter for quite a while!)

PowerST is a standalone application which provides it's own performance
analysis. There would be no need to do performance analysis within a
different program.

====

Bob Bolotin
President, RDB Computing, Inc.
Developer of "PowerST: The Power System Tester"
www.powertesting.com
powerst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
847-982-1910