Re: TS4 and low system resources

The short version is: "Ram releasers" take stuff out of fast memory (RAM)
and stick it into slow memory (swapfile), then only keep stuff in fast
memory (RAM) that pertains to current applications that are open.  If you
have plenty of RAM you don't need 'em, they don't really *DO* anything.
Why don't you just allocate your cache with a nice little program like
"Cacheman" http://www.outertech.com .

There is no advantage to defragging fast memory (RAM) except to save a
millisecond or 2 that would justify using swapfile on the HD which takes 1
to 5 seconds (I'm guessing it takes 1,000 to 10,000 times longer to
"defrag" your RAM than your computer uses it unfragged.

***None of these "Ram releasers" will effect the 128K of "System
Resources" in Win95/98/ME that is causing instability.***  WinNT/2000 does
not have this 128K limitation.  That is why it is a very good idea to
upgrade to Win2000 (if your driver situation is ok) if you are a serious
analyst/researcher/trader.

PS - I have heard no good things about WinME that would cause me to use it
over Win98.
PSS - If you are sold on these Ram releasers, then fine, use 'em.

Bob Perry
San Jose, CA