Re: Omega or Traderware???

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Omega or Traderware???
  • From: "Terry B. Rhodes" <trhodes3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:21:43 -0800

Hi,

> But it's hard to imagine getting the necessary enthusiasm for open source
> without the product being available to the Linux community, which is
> where most of the open-source action is these days.
>
> As I understand the architecture of Traderware, it's strictly a
> Microsoft product, tied to UMDS and Visual Basic.  So I think it's
> not really a candidate for the open-source model.

It's not impossible to imagine open source Windows projects. All
you need are volunteers and there are plenty of MS programmers
out there. The cost to individuals participating in such a
project is a dampening factor though. The LINUX based freemarket
project is using tools (compilers, source managers, ...) that are
free. The MS project contributors would all have to agree on
common tools and pay for them. This up front cost would be at
least $1,000/person. Then there would be the NECESSARY upgrade
costs as microsoft changes its technology with no regards to
legacy products each year. This is constitutes a real barrier to
entry on such projects.

> I can believe the performance issues raised earlier in this thread.
> A real-time trading platform is a demanding piece of software, and
> most of the common GUI toolkits are not up to the job.

Real time financial applications are particularly demanding due
to data flow. I coded a custom application for my stock day
trading some years ago and spent 3 weeks optimizing the data feed
to disk code. It needed another 3 weeks to be commercial grade.
IMHO this is why so many products limit the number of symbols
they handle.

regards,

tbr