Re: Omega or Traderware???

In a message dated 3/24/01 7:23:30 PM Central Standard Time,
parks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< As one who purchased an original copy of Traderware, I take offense that
 Charles Hargrave and Steve Yates have not live up to their promises of
 before. What about those who "believed" in them 2 years ago? They left us
 high and dry and quite frankly are no better than the Cruz brothers. Only
 difference is they dissolved their company and Omega's not quite there yet.

****** William, you have every right to feel that way.  I am going to defend
them or explain away what happened.  The company Traderware failed.  You and
some others received less than a good value for your dollars and your hopes.
Business failures happen.  Look at all the dot bombs out there and some of
the big names that went down.  You want to pick up some Dr.Koop.com cheap?
What I was wondering is if we could take all of the personal stuff out of it,
is there something to be done with Traderware the software?

 However, if they are now coming forward to those original purchasers and
 saying, look guys, we want to make good on our word and product.  Where do
 we need to go with this and what can we do to make things right, then
 perhaps enough of a common opinion could be formed to give some direction.

***** I think what Steve and/or Charles want is to find a good home for this
software, where it can grow up to be something.  I am not sure they need to
be involved in that at all.  I had been saying for months before they
approached me that licensing was the only thing they could really do.  They
don't really have a company.  Even when the had a company chartered, they did
not have much.  I never saw a marketing plan, for example.  There is a pile
of code.  It may have some use, or maybe not.  That is the question.

 If they're just looking for more capital, then I don't need to travel down
 that path again.  History has taught us that they'll take the money and run.
 If you want to improve the product and sell me an upgrade, I'll first want
 to see what's been fixed,  improved and changed and then see how much you
 want to sock us for it. Gee now that I think about it, wasn't the original
 license good for 3 years and probably due to expire soon? How convenient to
 resurrect this now.

****** There are lots of ways to make this work for the licensers and
licensees, we just need to use our heads a little.  Or maybe it is just
hopeless.  That is OK too.  Maybe Traderware needs to be shareware.  If
someone can find a use for it, then they will feel compelled by honor to
offer payment.  Or maybe there is something there that could be furthered in
an Open Source environment by the right people.  Perhaps some sort of
cooperative deal with a quote vendor.  The quote vendor could pay the
licensing fees.  The users get the software for free.  Solution providers
help with VB programming and such earning fees.

****** I really don't know if it has value or not.  I don''t know if any plan
would work.  But several heads are better than one and so I thought I would
throw it out there.  If we can't take the previous disappointments and
personal stuff out, I don't think we can get anywhere with this.  But I know
people want a better platform from which to analyze the markets and
portfolios.  Traderware did offer stocks and futures functionality together
and we are headed towards a new world with single stock futures.  So maybe we
need to be looking hard at all our alternatives for the changing world we
face.

Regards,

John J. Lothian

Disclosure: Futures trading involves financial risk, lots of it!

 BTW I would also vote for alternative feeds (i.e. UMDS). Internet feeds may
 be great if your in downtown Chicago with a T3, but in rural America with
 PPP, it just doesn't feed the bulldog. We're traders and this is our
 business; we're not hobbyist.