Re: TS 4.0 & TS Pro Print Log output question

--- Scott Elrod <ScottElrod@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To my esteemed Tradestation gurus,
>
> I have a friend who has an advanced Tradestion 4.0 -
> TS Pro question, and I
> don't know the answer at all.  So, anyone who can
> come up with a complete
> and accurate answer will get a couple of days free
> access to my private FTP
> server (200+ GB of music, literature, software,
> etc).
>
> The Description Is:
>
> Here is what I was wondering regarding
> Trade Station version 4.0 (circa Nov 1998):
>
> In my Easy Language programs ("Show Me" file type)
> I use the "PRINT" statement to write lots of
> detailed calculated
> info (like entry price, stoploss, 50-day moving
> average, etc)
> to the print log.   (The print log can be accessed
> by clicking
> on "file", then "new window", then "print log".)  I
> am able to
> print several lines of labeled information for each
> stock that generates
> an alert.  The size of the print log can be a
> maximum of 750 lines.
>
> My Question Is:
>
> Can my Show Me files containing the PRINT
> command,  be incorporated into the latest and
> greatest
> Omega product? (TS Pro)   The print log DID NOT work
> in the same
> way in Prosuite 2000i as it did in Trade Station
> 4.0.  That is
> one reason I sent back Prosuite 2000i within the
> 30-day
> trial period.

Dear Scott and friend,

The print command works the same in both Pro and
2000i, except that the place it prints to is now
called the debug window.  A couple of things though:

o If you are not careful, in both TS Pro and TS 2000i
you can crash your machine if you have a statement
like:

If a<0 then print("a<0 error!");

The reason is because, as you may already know, the
print buffer length is infinite.  So if you are doing
some huge optimization (say in an overnight run or
something), and any normally silent print statements
print anything, the program can fill up all available
memory and crash your machine.  The workaround is to
(1) eliminate unnecessary print statements or (2) to
add in the following command at the beginning of each
program:

If barnumber=1 then value1=printinit;

{Function printinit:}

if barnumber <=1 then begin
	cleardebug;
 print("******THIS INDICATOR WAS RUN ON
",currentdate," AT ",
	  currenttime,"************");
 printinit=1;
end;

which itself will slow any optimization significantly.
 As you may have guessed, cleardebug is the command
you need to execute to clean out the debug window.

One minor difference: you can detach and move around
the debug window in Pro.

In closing, let me say that the differences are not
valid reasons to avoid the upgrade.  I hope this
answers your question.  If it does not please let me
know and I shall be happy to elaborate.

Cheers,
Jack