DMI clarification

Anybody read this months bonus issue of Stocks & Commodities mag? I am
trying to identify what exactly is the variable length DMI used in the
system described on pp 10 'identifying powerful breakouts early'. The
author discusses the use of a variable length  DMI, and shows it applied
to the yen on page 13. Is this DMI just the +DMI? or is it the ADX?
which seems to be a little high on the chart if so. I am also wondering
if he is talking about some other type of 'variable length' dmi, and if
so, does anybody know what it is?

tia,

robert