ZoneAlarm Alert

I have had Zonealarm installed on my computer for many months and 5 days
ago installed the latest version of ZoneAlarm 2.1.44. I did not change
any settings in it, except to stop it from loading at start up. This
caused 2 problems for which I spent 4 days trying to find the reason for
these problems and it was a result of installing this latest version.

I used the software, CyberX, from  CyberCorp for an direct line broker.
CyberX can not handle decimals and so I downloaded the  new version,
CyberX2, which does handle decimals. I could not get this to connect via
my cable or dialup. To make a long story short, zonealarm was blocking
cyberX2 EVEN THOUGH ZONALARM WAS NOT RUNNING! I set zonealarm to not
boot at start up and in the task manager (in win 2000) both the
Applications and Processes tabs did not show it running. Zon~1.exe,
minilog.exe, and vsmon.exe show in the Processes tab when zonealarm is
running.

I use DynaStore and Qfeed for one of my data feeds. Dynastore has a
DSStart.exe which pings the servers on Qfeed. This had been working fine
and then stopped working. I realize now that it stopped after installing
the new version of zonealarm, but again ZONALARM WAS NOT RUNNING. Since
DSStart.exe was given permission in the previous zonealarm it seems the
new install should have kept that setting. Evidently not.

If I had had zonealarm up and running and tried using either DSStart.exe
or CyberX2 then zonealarm would have asked  permission. But, I did not
think an non-running program could affect running programs. Even for
Norton AntiVirus, when not loaded up, the task manager shows that the
"behind the scene" part for email detection, POProxy.exe, is running.

If it seems evident to you that the problems above were likely caused by
zonealarm, you need to know that at the same time all the above was
going on so was the following. I was also reinstalling TS2K sp5 (because
the Strategy Report did not work, which I do not use away)  from a CD
recently sent to me by Omega. The CD was corrupted and the GS would not
go online (2 days lost).  Lost the cable connection even though atHome
was not have problems in my area. Had a spontaneous reboot. Lost my
Hashnums32 DLL, as it reverted back to a demo version?! Not my week.

Moral: If it is working leave it alone, do not up grade unless you need
the new features, do not take for grant that a non-loaded program is not
affecting running ones or that CDs are perfect.

Hope this may help someone.