Re: [OT] Relliable backup tape system

> I have a pair of 8 Gig HP Colorado tape drives that I've used for
> some time. One has quit entirely, and the other is getting quite
> unreliable. HP suggests 'discarding them' - can't be fixed.

I worked for HP for almost 20 years as an employee and consultant.
To me, HP always represented the highest quality you could get.

So naturally I chose an HP Colorado drive (made & supported 10 miles
from my home) for my PC.

What a mistake.  This POS has been a pain from day 1.  The software
is fussy (requiring many mods of the standard shipped software to
work), the hardware is unreliable (backups often fail for no obvious
reason), and the support has been fairly useless (telling me to
change things that *should* have no bearing on a tape drive, because
"it couldn't possibly work with XYZ turned on," even though it had
been working fine for weeks before the latest failure), etc.

I think HP still makes a lot of excellent products.  But I'll never
buy another HP tape drive.

Gary