data delivery independence

Obtaining data has always been, for me at least, an issue that wastes more
resources (and fees) than I think it should. I once had a conversation with
Kent (I think that was his name) at UMDS who was of the opinion that the
Internet isn't a realistic option for delivering data. I beg to differ. :-)

I'd like several people to encourage Bob Brickey to provide an Internet
delivery solution as soon as practical. I've found receiving data over the
Internet to very reliable given particular environments. For example, a T1
connection from a Tier 1 provider, such as GTE or Internap, lets you connect
to practically any other server with just very few hops relative to dial-up
or ADSL.

A number of data providers are offering an Internet option today and more
will follow as it is inevitably a "cleaner" and open choice. With a
broadband connection, it's not only painless and inexpensive to switch, mix,
and consolidate data, the cost of ongoing maintenance of proprietary
"archaic boxes" disappears.

The delivery of disparate data over a TCP network also pretends new
horizons. For example, with TradeLab using a real language, the development
of applications that can plot data from different sources in the same window
seems plausible at a reasonable cost. One could plot the Commerce Dept's
data along side prices. But that's another topic.

Please email Bob, ceo@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ceo@xxxxxxxxxx> , and push for an
Internet solution. I suspect UMDS won't have an Internet offering for some
time, unfortunately, and the "old" ways, are in the way!

If you'd like to challenge any comments, please do. It's an area that needs
more input.

Colin West
1-877-988-4688 (toll-free)
cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx