Re: OS Opinions

Well, I guess there are about as many OS opinions as there OS's but if an
individual is happy with their OS that is all that matters.

I'm running TS4 on a dual processor NT4 machine and find it great for me.
The OS - even with all the network stuff, Acrobat etc - only occupies 300 MB
exclusive of the swap file.  This I believe is considerably less than Win2K
if it matters.  I run a dual boot system (NT and W95 -primarily just for DOS
use since my backup software runs from DOS) on a FAT16 drive and run all of
TS4 on a second logical drive with the Winternals FAT32 driver.  Now nobody
jump down my throat over this.  I chose FAT32 to be more compatible with my
Ghost backup software (Ghost will back up NTFS but individual file
restoration requires a FAT partition).  I trade only stocks (almost
exclusively NASDAQ) and save six weeks of tick data on all active stocks and
indexes (about 16,000 symbols and a 850 Mb tick file off of the BMI feed).
The only time I could tell any slowing was when Intel took the dump.
Usually, I never realize that I am saving data on more than a few symbols.
Since TS4 only uses one processor, the second is free for systems
requirements and whatever else you want to use it for.  I have really done
some bad things but have never crashed the system since I have been running
NT4.  I used to run a TS4/W95 system and that crashed almost daily.

Bottom line - for a workhorse system I am *extremely* happy with NT4.

~Bob