Optimizing Windows --> was: off topic: LOSE-DOWS

Hello,

I have noticed that about once or twice a month someone has Windoze
problems.  I'm no expert, but I have been quite diligent in researching
things that work.  Since we all use computers and TS4 or TS2000i, I
thought it would be germaine to this group to post this.

I have used Norton utilities quite succesfully (
http://www.symantec.com/product/ ), although I disable everything from
starting up on it's own in MsConfig.exe.  I mostly use Norton System
Check, Norton Disk Doctor, Norton Optimization Wizard, and Speed disk.
(I am currently evaluating PerfectDisk 2000 ( http://www.raxco.com ), I
really like it.)

I have no Virus Detection software running full time.  I have no
screensavers or "cute" cursors running, or any software not specifically
related to trading except a firewall.

TaskInfo2000 ( http://www.iarsn.com/index.html#/download.html )
  This will tell you every process that is running on your computer, the
path to every file, how much CPU time it's taking up, how much memory it
consumes, etc.  If you double click on the + sign, it will show all the
running threads.  If you highlight a process and right click, you have
many options, including terminating the current process.  Much more
efficient than CTR-ALT-Delete.  In one window is all the system info,
including RAM and swapfile size and usage.  All in real-time.

I have thoroughly cleaned my registry out.  Many problems have
disappeared by using the following products. (I'm just a customer.)

ScanRegW ( C:\WINDOWS\SCANREGW.EXE ) this should be already in Windows.
  Right click on your desk top and create a new shortcut.  I run this
before using any of these programs.  Just to "be sure".  (It saves a
current copy of your registry in-case you want to restore it later.  In
DOS mode, type: scanreg /restore)

RegCleaner ( http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/regcleaner.html )
  This will show you every program in your registery.  Even ones you
thought you got rid of.  You don't have to know anything about the
registry.  It just works and is easy to use!  Read the Helpfile for more
info.

Perfect Companion ( http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/regcleaner.html )
  This is an incredible program!  It goes through the entire registry
and validates each entry.  You have to manually restart it once it's
done because it takes several passes to completely eradicate every
spurious entry.  I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING THIS GUY'S ENTIRE
WEBSITE, especially about the swapfile and how Windows misuses it
(http://www.easydesksoftware.com/memory.htm ).  Warning - he's not a
very good writer, but he's pretty smart.  Email him if you have
questions.

Optimizing Windows (
http://iago.computerbits.com/archive/20000100/rao0001.htm )
  This is a website, not a program.

About the Swapfile (http://www.pcforrest.freeserve.co.uk/swapfile.htm )
  This is about how to optimize the swap file.  After getting more RAM,
I have set my min and max swapfile size to 10MB on my second drive, WITH
NO ADVERSE EFFECTS!  I can run TS2000, LEOWeb, Netscape, ZoneAlarm (and
more) all at once - no problem.  I have a PII-266MHz with 192 MB RAM and
run Win98.  If I am going to be using a CAD program, I set the Min/Max
to 128MB.

CacheMan (
http://www.outertech.com/english/products/cacheman/cacheman.html )
  I used to use WinRamBooster.  By utilitzing a smaller Swapfile size,
Widows automatically "releases" un-needed RAM, and consequently, I have
no longer any need for a "RAM releaser".  But by installing CacheMan, I
have actully GAINED available RAM!

I hope this helps.  There are many, many people on this list that know
alot more than I do on how/why these programs work, hope they correct
any erroroneous things I have said, maybe they have insights also.

Take care,

Bob Perry
San Jose, CA