Re: Exponential moving average

Carroll Slemaker wrote:

> Keep in mind that a MA is a low-(frequency)-pass filter.  That is, it passes
> through most variations of longer duration than the MA span but removes most
> (or all) of shorter-period variations.  To use one for revealing a cycle,
> therefore, one should start with a MA having a span of, perhaps, a quarter
> of the length of the cycle of interest and compare its result with that of
> successively longer-period MAs.  What you want is the shortest-period MA
> which produces the desired degree of smoothing (removal of short-period
> variations) withOUT significantly reducing the size of the desired cycle.

Possibly my view of this is wrong. When I say we can determine the
length of the price cycle with MA Lag, the cycle I'm thinking of is an
independently existing cycle that exists in fact. There is nothing
subjective in it, and does not depend on the time frames we prefer to
trade. It may be that you are suggesting a sort of infinitely
fractalized cycle, or a lower or higher 'harmonic' of the extant cycle.
By 'extant cycle' I mean a price cycle that can be shown to BE a cycle
by reason of frequency measurement, which can be done with MA Lag.
We may desire a longer or shorter cycle period, just as we may desire a
higher or lower absolute price, but the price is the price, and the
cycle period is the cycle period. (This, at least, is my view and I
won't be surprised to find some nuggets of ignorance that are in part
responsible for spawning it).

> You can take this one step further by also calculating a MA with span equal
> to the cycle of interest and then displaying the difference - short period
> MA minus long period MA.  This gives you a rough band-pass filter.

Yes, I can see why one would want to 'parse' the cycle, once it's
identified.

Regards,
Monte