Methods of simulating margin

<x-flowed>
Here's a question to the list from my trading partner...

I am looking for a way to allow my system to adjust to changes in market
volitility. Rather than base my system parameters on a 'normal trading day'
I would like to base them on a variable that changes with trading
volitility such as margin.

For example, in 1994 corn on a normal day moved above 2 cents from close to
close. During a period of 1996, it was not unusual to see this commodity
move over 15 cents in a day.

Rather than try to find a historical source of margin for a number of
commodities in my portfolio, it seems plausable I should be able to
simulate margin as a function of the trading ranges of a recent period of time.

Does anyone know how the exchanges compute margin?

How do others allow there system to adjust for changes in volitility?

Thanks for your input.

---
david_wieringa@xxxxxxxxx
Scottsdale, AZ