From: Don Ewers [mailto:dbewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2000 10:23 AM
To: Omega List
Subject: Re: Cable Amplifier

Recently my area was rewired with fiber optic cable. This cause problems for
my cable modem and my signal strength was weak (the sign I had of this was a
shadowed TV picture). The cable company came out and replaced allot of
"fittings" with newer more shielded ones that "leak" less and new splitters
that "leak" less. They replaced all the store bought cables with their
shielded ones. Additionally they switched my main connection to one that was
"split less" at the main entry buss. All of this increased the strength from
4.5 to 7.5 and the number of lost "packets" dropped dramatically so it is
worth looking into. The speed did not increase but the data integrity
improved. Apparently the fiber optic change makes the existing setup more
subject to leakage if I understood the technician correctly. Hope this
helps.
don ewers