Re: Vendor System, Real Profits for 3 Years

At 6:36 PM -0500 7/15/00, M. Simms wrote:

>This was discussed in an earlier post....the premise here is that for
>a given set of logic and rules that any one trade's return can be
>highlighted as better than another. Restated: If the system's
>EXPECTED win rate is 60% you expect 6 out of 10 FUTURE trades will be
>winners......then which of the 10 trades will have the best return?

There are two parts to the reward-to-risk ratio, "reward" and "risk".

Risk is easier. At the time of the trade, it is usually possible to
determine the risk. This is related to how far away your exit stop is
on the bar of entry. Obviously, the stop moves as time elapses but
since losing trades usually exit soon after an entry, the stop will
not have moved a lot by the exit.

Reward is harder. You need to evaluate this on the bar of entry and
there is not a lot to go on in most cases. I usually assume all
trades have the same potential reward. But it is possible that you
could calibrate this. Possible examples:

   > You could keep track of how large recent trades have been
     running.

   > Trades following a period of congestion might move further
     than normal.

Sounds as if it might be worth some investigation.

Bob Fulks