Re: A Quick Poll

Very insightful commentary --

I've had a similar hypothesis for many years about what "works" in
technical analysis.  First of all, you have to take into consideration that
only a small fraction of the people who attempt trading in the Markets will
ever be successful on a long-term basis -- and only a fraction of those
people will choose technical analysis as a means to reach their goal.

Along the road, many TA techniques will be studied.  Most novitiate traders
will discover Moving Averages, MACD, RSI, Stochastics, Fibonacci, etc.,
etc. -- but none will prove to be very useful and all will reveal their
flaws if studied carefully.  If they hang in there long enough and can
sustain and conquer the financial and psychological damage that is a normal
part of the learning process -- at some point, "how Markets move" and
"trade" will start to make some sense.

If they've still chosen to remain an ally with TA at that point, whatever
technical frame of reference they're currently following and have the best
"feel" for will become their primary frame of reference.

At that point, it won't matter which technique they've chosen because their
ability to be a successful trader will already be intact and they will only
use that particular technique as a reference against which to explain their
"methods", if in fact, an explanation is even possible...