EXE Code too large (really?)

Does anyone know what, precisely, are the limitations concerning "EXE
code too large" error in TS 4?  I have a system I've written, which
validates "Excellent!" in PowerEditor.  Yet, when I apply it to a chart,
I get "EXE code too large error."  I am using a third-party DLL
(QLSNums).

...Now, I figured the EL code was probably just at the edge of the size
boundary, and while PowerEditor could handle it, it was maybe just
slightly too big for Charting....  So, I broke out a good-sized piece of
the code, which I made a separate function.  ...Still I got the same
message.

So, I went one step further, and broke a piece of *that* function out,
making it another function, which the "first level" function calls.

Now, by this point, the individual components are pretty small (1.5
pages of text maybe, each?)  ...Why does PowerEditor have no problem at
all validating--even the "whole" version; and when I've broken it into
small pieces Charting still refuses to load it with "EXE code too
large"?  Any ideas welcome!
ian