From: <robert.cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Patrick White" <simgenie@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Omega" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: Data

The E-mini S&P, E-mini Nasdaq futures are available right now for free. I
can get real time stock quotes for free now just not scrolling for NY,
Nasdaq and American  exchanges. I can get real time stock option quotes for
free. Why would the Future Exchanges start offing free data instead of
routing it through quote venders for the money. First time in history they
have done that and they will go all ET in the future. Do you think that
pleased DTN, DBC and others? Once you go free there is no going back to
charging ever. I believe the exchanges will sell their data to corporations
who in turn will give it to the public while you look at an E_trade ad or
what ever. Internet is all about numbers and offering something to bring
them in to attract advertisers is why. The exchanges will increase their
exposure and still make a dime on data. Then later offer it free in the
further future for the same reasons. So its not who I heard this from its
how could it go any other way? You can get E Signal free now if you make 5
trades with a certain brokerage company. Next time it will 3, then 2 then
0. The US futures exchanges will have to drop their monthly fees and recoup
the money on ticket charges in order to compete world wide. If they don't
then Germany will and instead of buying beans at the board you buy the same
US contract through a German futures exchange and use their data and ET.
Now what is needed is a standard format data feed so it can feed all
software. You get that then its a done deal. Need data in the future then
go to the board or to any exchange, website and get it but it will be free.
Less than 5 years ago none of this existed. Where do you think we will be
in another 5 years, not here is all I can assume.

Robert

At 03:54 PM 6/7/00 -0400, Patrick White wrote:
>Which exchanges are going to start selling direct, or how have you heard
>that this is the case?
>
>Patrick White
Com"
><omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 2:08 PM
>Subject: Re: Data
>

>Well if I have to change I would never use E Signal. I would use another
>vender for the simple reason they took away my existing service. Besides
>the exchanges are going to start selling directly to the public anyway in
>the near future. Software venders will make all trading software programs
>run from it. Trading is going to a world wide forum and the industry is not
>so selective anymore. Use to be only a few had their own quotes system and
>thus appears the middle man vender quote company. When the Internet keeps
>expanding it always gets cheaper to a point where the present venders will
>not have margins enough to be profitable. Just like  the Internet service
>is going free and why AOL merged with Time Warner. Trade Girl was not to
>far off the mark talking about free quote service only a matter of time. In
>the mean time BMI will try and weed out Sat/Cable because of the profit
>margins. They will not last a year in my opinion neither will E-signal in
>its present state.
>
>Robert
>

>At 11:18 AM 6/7/00 -0500, Don Roos wrote:
> >This is exactly why all of us bmi/dbc satellite and cable users should
give
> >them hell when they call trying to get us to switch to esignal and
> >threatening that the sat and cable will not be available within a year.
If