2nd citizenships (was Re: http://www.de.credit-suisse.ch/views/index.html)

At 16:48 22/05/2000 -1000, you wrote:
>Simon,
>
>Your underlying premise is only partly true.  A U.S. Citizen (living in
>the U.S.) can legally hold dual-citizenship only under certain
>circumstances-- such as a diplomatic reason, and a few other extenuating
>circumstances which have to be approved by the govt.

Ron, I'm not so sure that this is true.  Maybe it depends on WHAT country
the second citizenship is from?  For example, my US Mother-in-law in the US
holds a British passport because her father was British.  No diplomat, no
extenuating circumstances.  No application for "approval" from the
US!  There's nothing illegal about holding both UK and US passports at the
same time.  My three year old daughter holds them both without a
problem!  The US govt did not "approve" her Britishness, nor did the
British consulate inform the US that one of their citizens is also
British.  The British consider her British and the Americans consider her
America.  End of story.

As far as the American policy goes, they say "we do not recognise" dual
citizenship.  Yet, what they also say (without actually saying it) is
"there's nothing illegal about it and we can't stop you from doing it".  If
you did it, they do not have the right to strip you of your US citizenship
unless you did something like serve in a foreign army and other automatic
revocation things as you mention below.  Most Americans would want to keep
their US passports ...just get a legal second one, for private use around
the world when being an American is a disadvantage.

My US Mother-in-Law first got her UK passport 30 years ago because she was
concerned about her son being drafted into the Vietnam war, and wanted an
escape if it became necessary.  It's been renewed several times since then,
without any problems whatsoever.

Simon.