Re: DBC Microsoft Mentality

  • To: "[ tradergirl ]" <tradergirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: DBC Microsoft Mentality
  • From: Fred <srqblue@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:16:35 -0700

On Fri, 12 May 2000 14:08:17 -0700, <tradergirl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>What they are doing, since I am pretty damn good at computers, is telling
>you the Internet has more bandwidth than Cable.  What they are doing is
>lying.
>Look at Cable modems.  Look at television.  Cable.  The only thing faster is
>a fiberoptic backbone, like coming in from an OC3.

Without casting any dispersions at all on tradergirl's sentiments, and
willing to stipulate that her computer prowess is far beyond my own,
"lying" does not accurately characterize  DBC's statements.  Or, at
least their statements about the bandwidth of broadcasts systems for
data transmission.

They wrote:

 "Due to bandwidth constraints, broadcast systems, meaning both Signal
and BMI broadcast system boxes do not have the bandwidth to keep up
with the active trading that's occurring in today's markets."

Which is true.

Tradergirl wrote:

>Look at Cable modems.  Look at television.  Cable.  The only thing faster is
>a fiberoptic backbone, like coming in from an OC3.

Which is also true.

But they are not the same.

DBC's "broadcast system"  even if delivered via fiber optics point-to
point would not increase the bandwidth of the VBI (Vertical Blanking
Interval) of a television (i.e. 'broadcast") signal.  It is the TV
signal not the cable that is the carrier of the data in such cases.
The only way to increase the data it can carry would be to send some
on the American Movie Channel VBI and the balance on CSPAN.

Fred

"Success is the only test of genius" -R.Adm Daniel Gallery 1901-1977