Re: LCD Monitor Recommendations

> I'd need some guidance on LCD monitors.  Please send your experiences with
> LCD's in general and specific models for use with charting software.

I would say the most important thing is to get a monitor with a digital
video input, run by a digital video card.  Make sure you match the video
card to the monitor per the manufacturer's, dealer's, or magazine review's
recommendations, because there have been competing digital video card
standards (it's possible this has changed recently, though).

An LCD monitor works with digital signals, whereas a CRT (i.e., TV-like
monitor with a picture tube) uses analog signals.  If you get a plain 'ol
analog video card, no matter how good a card it is, you're converting the
digital signals from your computer to an analog signal in the video card,
and then it's being converted back to digital inside the monitor.  The
result is a loss of clarity that's not worth the savings from not having
to buy a digital video card.

Good LCD monitors run by digital video cards are so beautiful to look at
all day, it's worth every penny if you have it.  I am a beginning trader,
and will be using 2 19" CRT monitors on the system I just ordered to save
money.  But if I had the $$$, I would buy 2 18" Nokia 800PRO+ monitors.  I
have not seen the Nokia's in person, but have been using a Dell-branded
15" monitor this past week, and it's fantastic.  You can check out PC
Magazine's review of the Nokia here:

http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/firstlooks/0,6763,2431649,00.html

Enjoy!  Maybe you can post your experiences with whichever one you get
back to the list.

Best regards,

John Machtinger