Re: 2 Quick Notes - Tom Demark's Sequential

Wong <whs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Is the material in an investment book copyrighted?

Yes.

>For example, is Wilder's RSI indicator ("New Concepts in Technical Trading
Systems"
>copyright 1978) which is present in any $10+ investment software copyrighted?

The book is copyrighted.  You may not reproduce the book.

When you implement a formula from a book in software you are not copying
the book, though the formula itself may come from the book.  The distinction
is that the copyright applies to *that particular writing* of the formula,
 not to all writings of the formula.  I can write the formula out 1000 times.
 Just because the formula also appears in Mr. Wilder's book does not mean
that I copied it therefrom.

The other thing to keep in mind is the so-called "fair use" provisions of
the copyright law.  This section says that certain limited portions of a
copyrighted work may be reproduced in other works - book summaries, critical
reviews, explanatory articles, etc. - provided that credit is given to the
original author.  The exact limits of "fair use" are decided on a case-by-
case basis.  Certainly, paragraphs and formulae may be reproduced, provided
that credit is given.

Hope this helps...

OM