Re: Firewall recommendation? You'll need more than that!

> Several weeks ago, at exactly noon, my home computer was hit by attempted
> port entries at the rate of several hundred per hour. All were trying to
> access the same port number, which may have overwhelmed Zonealarm.

Sounds to me that somebody tried to "flood" your computer. By constant
trying to "acces" your computer they want to let it crash.

"Nothing" can be done to avoid that. Same happened to some big websites.
(Yahoo i believe and another one) They were "put out of business" because
some hackers where constantly trying to acces those computers.

> I took the computer off line, examined my system for evidence of hacking

You did not find anything (other than the log file from ZA) Hackers
did not get into your computer. They where just constantly "knocking
at the door"

> - Firewalls and anti-virus utilities are not invincible.  They have
>    security holes, such as letting in malicious ActiveX controls.

That's different then what you say here. An activeX control will
not get into your computer unless you let it in. For instance through
an exe file or something which you receive with your e-mail. Therefor
you need a virus scanner to find these "trojan horses". These trojan
horses then set open a port on your computer so a hacker can come
in.

> - Although disabling file/printer sharing may stop an eight-year-old
>    from accidentally accessing your computer, it does not prevent a
>    malicious hacker from getting what he wants.

If hackers can get into banking coputers etc. etc. then nothing
can stop them from getting into your computer. You have 1 advantage.
There is nothing to gain from entering your computer so a hacker
wil not acces your computer.

Only 1 thing might set of a hacker to want to enter your computer.
That is when you piss of a hacker :-)) So, never do that and you will
be save from hackers.

> After reading numerous reports on how to beef up security for Internet
> access, I compiled a set of security enhancing guidlines that I plan to
use
> on my next computer, before it goes online.

Also try Win2000. As far as i found out it works OK. Also did not hear
of any funerabilities until now. (AGAIN ! not talking about trojan horses
!!)

==============================

1 thing i have to add. If you are constantly connected to the internet you
will some day expirence a port scan. Why ? Because if you are constant
connected to the internet you will have a statick IP wich makes it
intersting
for "hackers" (not the real once) to just check out your computer to see
if they get in.

If you have a normal dial up connection then getting hit by a port scan
would be like winning the lottery.

Also, port scan's can not do you harm. People are just probing your
ports if any one of them is open so they can get in. If you have all
your ports closed or have set your ports for the apropriate aplications
to acces them, then port scan can not do you any harm.

Greetings

Henry