Re: Firewall recommendation? You'll need more than that!

MatteoRicci_LiMatuo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Mark,
>
> it would be good if you explain why a firewall fails. You are a software
> engineer
> and statements to the effect of "firewalls aren't good enough" don't help.

I am supprised to see this chain message about Firewall continue. A while back I
answered
someone about instead of spending $180 dollars getting a bogus hardware version
for a firewall or software for that
matter to try installing linux on a seperate machine worth only $100. His response
was it was hot enough having
one PC and he didnt need to go through all crap configurations. I ended my
comments with his remarks.

The reason I suggested this was because my background stems from Engineering and
networking.
I built and protected bank networks such as Deutsche Bank,  company firewalls for
Siemens, Intranets and local university.
Though I gave up that career 5 years ago at 25 yrs old to take trading for living,
I think I know what I am talking about.

The closest your system could every come to be protected is when it is masqueraded
from the internet but
allowing you at the same time access to it. For the Price most people are willing
to spend (Under $500) the alternative
of using a second PC worth about $100 is the most expedient.

Regards
Shawn
--
Ricercar Fund /SA "Quarendo Invenietis"