Re: Limitation on sending attachments to Omega List

"Barry Silberman" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asks:
>I have tried several times to send e-mails to the Omega List.  One
>contains an ELS file of 14.5 KB and a second e-mail contained a
>chart in JPG format of 70.9 KB.  Neither of these e-mails have
>gotten through to the List.  Could someone tell me the limitations
>or suggest a way of sending the e-mails.

As mentioned in the list's welcome/help message, the limit for posts
is 15K characters.  Some points to keep in mind regarding size:

Binary attachments must be encoded, typically by an algorithm called
Base-64, for transmission as email.  This encoding increases the
size by about 25% over the size of the raw binary.

Omega's ELA (and presumably ELS) files seem to generally be about
four times the size of the plain text source code, and sometimes
as much as ten times bigger.  Since list members are more interested
in the source code, for many reasons, we strongly advise posting the
source, not an ELA/ELS file.

Excel XLS files and MSWord DOC files are typically huge, on the
order of 100K and up for most that I've seen, and so will generally
never make the size cut.

Images such as charts always encode more efficiently in GIF format
than in JPG format, which works better for things like photographs.
A TS chart may be displayed as a 10K GIF, and be 80K as a JPG.

Finally, don't forget that HTML drastically increases the size of
your email.  Even though the list server is set to return articles
in receives in multipart HTML format, if the mail is too large,
the part of the server that rejects the HTML won't even see it,
so you won't get the reject notice.  If you're trying to send an
article that's pushing the size limit, make very sure your mailer
isn't also adding that HTML stuff.

--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list