Re: Scam alert -- A letter from Nigeria

Mark Jurik wrote:

> Not to imply anyone on this list would be so gullible to fall for this, but you may >know someone who is....
>
> Attached below is an "urgent" letter I recently received.  Essentially, it is >requesting that I reveal my bank account numbers to someone in Nigeria, and in >exchange, I can claim my share in millions of dollars.

A couple years ago, my dad (who was in his 80's and very short of $)
called me.  He indicated that "we have very good news" and described the
letter and the fact that he could use his more or less inactive business
account to do this transaction (he had had a print shop but was since
~retired).  He intended to take the letter to a lawyer to get it set up.
(At least he was going to go thru a lawyer and not communicate with
these guys directly.)  As he describe it, I replied, "this has something
to do with oil and Nigeria, doesnt it"  I had received a similar letter
a number of years before this.  (Back then it referred to oil but the
idea was the same.)  I said it's probably a complete scam, trying to get
your bank info; or if not, its an attempt to launder drug money or the
like.

He also called me once, fairly well convinced he had won the Publisher
Clearing House Sweepstakes.

I remember recently following a story on the fs bulletin board of
someone who had invested several tens of thousands of $ in a currency
trading account (options I think).  In this case it turned out the $
wasn't even put into exchange traded options but went quickly to an
offshore acct.  The authorities told him the info he gave them would be
used to shut the front co. down, but he had little chance of getting the
$ back.  He didn't talk like this was his life savings, fortunately.

I keep getting an email which promises to reveal the secrets of "huge
profits from the hidden flaw in the currency markets".  For a faxed
check of $25 ($199 marked down until Apr 30 [or whenever the
next email broadcast goes out]), you get a report that shows you how
to:

"We are glad to announce that for the first time and for
a very short period of time, INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE
ALLIANCE will instruct a LIMITED number of people
worldwide on 'HOW TO CONVERT $25 INTO ONE HUNDRED OF
LEGAL CURRENCY'. We will transact the first conversion
for you, after that you can easily and quickly do this
on your own hundreds or even thousands of times every
month. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS "SECRET FLAW"!

"It is even more explosive than we have yet disclosed.
While currency does fluctuate daily, we can show you
'HOW TO CONVERT $99 INTO $588 AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT'.
That means, you will be able to EXCHANGE $99, AMERICAN
LEGAL CURRENCY DOLLARS, FOR $580 OF THE SAME. You can do
this as many times as you wish, every day, every week,
every month. All very LEGAL and effortlessly!

"It takes only 5 to 10 minutes each time you do this. You
can do this from home, office or even while traveling.
All you need is access to a phone line and an address.
Best of all, you can do this from ANY CITY ON THIS EARTH!!!

"Again, we must reiterate, anyone can do this and the source
is NEVER-ENDING. For as long as the global financial
community continues to use different currencies with
varying exchange rates, the "SECRET FLAW" will exist.

"As we said earlier, we will do the first transaction for
you and will show you exactly how to do this on your own,
over and over again!

"The amount of exchange you would do each time is entirely
up to you. Working just 2 to 10 hours a week, you can soon
join the list of Millionaires who do this on a daily basis
many times a day. The transaction is so simple that even a
high school kid can do it!"

[end quote]

I assume they are just selling a report that describes currency
options.  Or perhaps soliciting accounts.  Not a disclaimer in sight.

Conrad Bowers