From: <editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Omega List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: stop paying income taxes

> -- Conrad wrote:
>
> > But, I think anyone who is unwilling to pay the taxes,
> > ought to move from the US.  Or, stay here but make
> > sure you drive on no roads, take no medicine that
> > even indirectly came from research supported by the
> > NIH, never listen to the weather, drink only water
> > that's not tested by government agencies for purity,
> > never read any material from the USDA before you farm
> > or trade corn, etc.
>

> I have great respect for cpbow.  But on this issue I'm afraid he's
mistaken.  The government has no right to one cent of my earnings.

> All of the things mentioned above can be done by private enterprise.  And
they would be done by private enterprises, just as so many other things are,
were the government to not do them.

> The fundamental question is philosophical:  Does the individual *owe*
something, simply because he earns something?  Does the "majority" have a
right to part of my earnings, simply because they vote themselves that
"right"?  What if I do not desire any of the "benefits" procured by my
taxes, including those mentioned above?