Curious decision

I recently finished The Predictors about the folks in New Mexico using chaos
theory to trade the markets.  I thought the book was excellent.  There are
no systems in it so if you're looking for something along those lines, this
book is just a story about the business side of getting going.

In it, one of them made a statement that they trade anything "that doesn't
walk, shit, or rot."  My only guess for this decision on their part was that
these markets were more subject to supply and demand.  They did trade gold
even though their statistical models revealed some manipulation in this
market.  They started out primarily on currencies, interest rates, and large
equity indexes.  Anyone else know why they made that particular exclusion?

Kent