Re: Which holds best promise?

Howard Jackson <hrjf4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And, If he can't (teach another person and a
> computer), then I would venture to say he modifies his
> rules as he goes along.

I can't speak for Bob, not having experience with his methodology or
teaching.  But that's been my experience with several "trading
teachers" (usually very expensive) that I've had first-hand
experience with or second-hand reports about.  Often the guru can
trade like a wizard, calling winner after winner.  (And in several
cases I know people who sat with the guru during trading hours and
watched him make the trades in realtime, with real $$.)

But when he tries to convey the "iron-clad consistent rules he uses"
to a student, the student flops.  Why?  Because the guru doesn't KNOW
all the rules he uses.  The "computer between his ears" is a lot more
complex than he realizes, and it's doing all kinds of pre-filtering
on the trade decisions.  Often the guru honestly doesn't even SEE
setups that perfectly match his stated rules -- setups that his
students would obediently take -- because his subconscious pre-
filters block it out for him.

If that kind of subconscious decision making works for you, then by
all means use it.  If I could do it, I probably would use it too.
But so far I haven't developed that ability.  Instead, I have the
ability to crank out code.  So I crank out code until I find
something that works, and then I trade that.  And while I'm waiting
for Tradestation to go "beep" (since I really don't have to watch the
market between signals), I crank out more code to come up with
another good model.  It's a different approach and one that wouldn't
work for a lot of people.  But then the full-discretionary approach
doesn't work for a lot of people either.  Use whatever works for you.

Gary