Re: Which holds best promise?

Bob Heisler <bheisler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And even though I am "discretionary" trader, I take the same
> trades/setups every day and set stops and objectives the exact same
> way - all based on the price action.  What varies is adjusting my
> trade management to the conditions, and no computer can do that for
> me.

On the other hand, unless you have iron discipline, a discretionary
trader can unintentionally let other factors -- fear, greed, lack of
confidence (or overconfidence) in self or system, etc -- creep into
the decision process.  Unless you're a robot, how can you be sure
that your discretionary process includes ONLY the factors you want?

That's one of the reasons I like systematic trading.  I know the
program's signals aren't influenced by my emotional state at the
time.  All I have to do is follow it.  Sometimes I don't do even THAT
very well, which should give me some clue as to how well I'd do if I
was trying to call the signals myself.  :-)

> And that is one major component that gives us the edge as off
> the floor traders.

(Can't the floor traders do exactly the same thing?)

It can be a valuable tool.  But I don't believe it's the ONLY way to
trade successfully.  A systematic trader with a *good* system can
trade 100% mechanically and do quite well.

Gary