Re: Ping

The primary functions are:

Ping - display aggregate response time to and from a web site.

traceroute - display response times from you to a web server, by internet
link (or server) on route to the web server you want.   Shows the timing (in
milliseconds) at each link from your ISP to the web server.   However since
most problems are in the response time From a web address back to you, your
running a traceroute display may not be that useful.   For example an ISP
may have very fast throughput in outgoing TCP, but have very poor response
times when receiving TCP.    For response times from the web server to you,
the web site operate would need to do a traceroute to your ISP.

whois - administrative information on a web address.   Very important if
your firewall reports unwanted incoming TCP requests.   For example the
firewall program might reports "unwanted" incoming TCP from web address
1.2.3.4, of TCP type X.    "Whois" can display the administrative
information for web address 1.2.3.4.     Being on a cable ISP, I've receive
"unwanted" incoming TCP requests from all over the world.   However for
attacks and scans originating in the U.S. the "Whois" administrative
information for the offending web address usually has an administrative
e-mail address where I can report the date, time and other information of
the attack.

"Sam Spade" has some TCP scan functions to probe the offending web site in
return, but I wouldn't recommend using them.