Re: Rocket Science

Hello  Marlowe,

Trillion Dollar Bet
http://www.pbs.org/nova/stockmarket/
Web site launch date: February 4, 2000
Program broadcast date: February 8, 2000

In 1997, the Nobel Prize in Economics went to a pair of economists who devised a mathematical formula they thought could make them millions of dollars on the stock market. And it did -- so much so that they formed a unique trading company and began speculating on a scale never before seen. The company bet billions on the assumption that the formula was foolproof. But it wasn't. In 1998, the company crashed so spectacularly that it threatened the entire global economic system. In this Web site, we take a closer look at the so-called Black-Scholes formula. We also investigate the impact of online trading, offer a trader's lexicon, and give you a chance to play a virtual stock market.

The Formula That Shook the World
While the Black-Scholes formula did not live up to its early promise, stockbrokers still use it today, albeit cautiously. Get an insider's look at this recipe for riches and how it actually works in the real world.

Repercussions of Online Trading
Seems like everybody is getting into the game of trading stocks over the Internet. Here, a columnist for The Street.com, an online investment and financial publication, takes a sidelong glance at this exploding phenomenon.

A Trader's Lexicon
You probably know the difference between a bull and a bear market. But what about the difference between a call and a put? A trend line and a trend break? Whisper numbers and whipsaws? Get the answers in our online glossary.

Trading Mock Stocks (Hot Science)
Want to play the stock market without risk? We'll give you a virtual fortune and several leading stocks to spend it on. Caution: These stocks may be volatile.

--
Best regards,
  Mark Brown                        mailto:markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx