Re: GEN: Optimal Detrending of a Time Series Method ...

Andrew,

A very effective detrend technique is to simply take the first differences
of the data then look at the resulting series and see if it "trends".
Typically, that's all that's needed. However, if trend still exists, take
second differences (first difference of the first difference). Note that
second differences can be used as a measure of momentum in stock prices.

Regards,
Bill Vedder