Re: it ain't ready yet

>>Good afternoon,
>>
>>My position in Omega Research is the quality assurance test lead for the
>>Global Server.  I was hoping I would be able to ascertain the exact nature
>>of the problem which you have reported.  The message sent by the data
>>manager 'Error, cannot find receiver on any comm port' is one generated by
>>the Signal/Bmi Data manager indicating that the connection to the receiver
>>was lost.  This would in turn cause or program to stop updating.  We should,
>>however, reestablish the connection as soon as the data manger reestablishes
>>its connection with the signal receiver.
>>
>>Was your experience different? If you shut the server down and restarted,
>>did it connect properly to the data manager?  Any assistance you are able to
>>offer would be appreciated.  Thank you.
>>
>>Giovanni Pugliese
>>QA Server Test Lead
>>Omega Research, Inc.

I gave up on the program at that point and simply left it running. It never
reestablished the connection. I finally shut it down late last evening and
rebooted the machine...I restarted TS2Ki and it connected. I didn't reset
the BMI cable box and it never showed a disruption of data collection. The
bad packets count is very low.

Sometimes the DataManager window reports that Reception and Password are
"OK", but most of the time it reports Reception and Password as "NONE." I
often get the error message, "Data Manager is not getting enough time to
perform its functions..." I don't think you can separate responsibility for
this into Signal/BMI vs Omega. Omega made the decision to use the
Rent-a-Server approach and must accept responsibility for its inadequate
performance.

There are of course, many other shortcomings in the program. Every morning
when I boot TS2Ki I must resize Tracking Center and Quote Monitor because
they open as a window rather than full screen as I left them. I must also
rearrange the charts on each worksheet because they slip to the side of the
worksheet (four charts per worksheet). This must be redone every time the
program crashes and is restarted. The NewsMonitor sometimes runs, most
often not.

There are still major performance problems with TS2Ki SP4. The mouse
pointer is sluggish when the mouse is moved. Drawn objects like horizontal
lines and trend lines, are slow to draw and slow to move after drawing.
Changing between worksheets is very slow. Charts maximize/minimize slowly,
letters form slowly onscreen as I type.

You guys have a long way to go. If Omega would come clean with their
customers you would get the help of many people on the Omega List who have
considerable knowledge about computers and trading, and who want TS2Ki to
be successful. A good place to start would be an admission that TS2Ki is
currently unreliable for real time trading.

Many customers, such as myself, feel that Omega has forced us to beta test
this software because it was not properly developed. Most of us are
traders, not software engineers, we rely on Omega products for our
livelihood and resent the hundreds of hours we have wasted over the past 10
months with this very buggy software and Omega's apparent lack of concern
for long time customers.

I hope you don't mind my posting this to the Omega List. I have found the
list members to be very helpful with TS2Ki problems and think we all
deserve a more open approach.

machines used:
   500MHz PIII w/ 256Mb, Matrox G400 w/ 32Mb
   450MHz PII w/ 256Mb, Diamond V770 w/ 32Mb
   266MHz PII w/ 128Mb, generic video card
BMI cable
Win98se